Thursday, October 18, 2007

Un Signo Di Dio

I've never had a Virgin Mary in the Glass experience or seen Jesus in my toast. However, today I looked down at the cord hanging from my guitar pickup and saw this:

I know, right? A freaking treble clef!

(My lips to Gods ears: I didn't contrive this in any way. I just saw it, lay down the guitar and grabbed the camera.)


If you didn't have music lessons as a kid, here's something for comparison:

It's no Shroud of Turin, but I don't think you can get a closer re-creation with a single strand of anything.

I'd be shunning my duties as a snake oil peddler if I didn't assign some heartfelt personal significance to this, so here goes:

I have a crazy goal to sing an original song in front of people who aren't kin to me. I find this tremendously scary, but in a moment of stupidity I confessed to my husband that I'd like to do it at an upcoming open mic night at Barley Island Brewing Company. Have I mentioned my husband doesn't let things go?
  1. A reason this is scary: it's musician appreciation night at Barley Island's open mic. There will be lots of songwriters there. Yikes.

  2. Another reason this is scary: I've not yet written a song I deem good enough to sing in front of non-relatives. It's four days from now. This is the only day I have off work between now and Sunday.
How can you help? Glad you asked: If you're a local MRF reader, come to Barley Island Sunday night around 6:30 or so and clap a lot. A diverse group of local acts comes out to this, so chances are good you'll hear something you like. Plus, their tasty Flat Top Wheat Ale does a nice job of taking the edge off stuff you don't like.

You non-locals (shout out to Wisconsin, California, and Texas) do what you do best and keep commenting here. You totally put the locals to shame.

Sigh. If my supernatural musical phenomenon means anything, it's time to stop procrastinating and write a song. Holy crap, I hope I can do this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everybody has a FIRST song, sweetie. Even Kris Kristofferson (sp?).

You'll do GREAT...8-)

Jennifer said...

You don't seem to care if the first song is a BAD song. It seems kinda dumb to say, "hey everybody, listen to this bad song I wrote." Shouldn't you keep the bad ones to yourself?

Anonymous said...

The first song isn't really that hard to do. It's the one's that YOU really deem special that it's hard to do for the first time. The trick however, is to just get up and sing the song. When strangers come to you after the performance and tell you how good the song was, THEN you break the news that it's a self composition. See, you're already feeling more at ease now. Go knock em dead!

P.S. Bryan, Google has prevented me from signing in and supporting you too, so it may be happening to others. Keep up the good work and come see a brother when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

I find margaritas get the creative juices flowing... Either that or they just make you feel like you're a genius and anything you have written down is brilliant!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Take THAT locals! Except not being local means not getting to come drink beer and listen to your first song. Boo. But I'm sure it will be stellar. The cord has spoken!

Anonymous said...

You could procrastinate your way into a jazzy, scatty, impromptu performance. No?

Too bad I won't be there, I could use some taking the edge off.

Looking forward to a full re-cap of the event!

Anonymous said...

Sing
Sing a Song
Sing out Loud
Sing Out Strong
Sing of good things, not bad
Sing of happy not sad
So Sing
Sing a song

Anonymous said...

PS, the Lord has also said that you shouldn't play bass, apparently. If you need someone to blow bass for you, holla