- Several ultrasounds have confirmed that our little one's a boy
- His name will be Jackson Pepper (my maiden name) Ramsey
- We'll call him Jackson - but, since it's the midwest, I'm sure he'll be called Jack a lot
- He's due 1/31
- We've been advised not to let it wait that long... we're scheduled to induce on 1/30 if nothing exciting happens before then
- He may be a big one! They estimated him at 6 lbs. last month, and he could be 8 or 9 lbs. if he stays in until induction day
- We'll try for a vaginal delivery, but a C-section may be necessary
- I've secretly wished Jackson would decide to appear on Inauguration Day, so he could tell everyone he was born the day President Barack Obama took office
- He's probably *not* going to be born today, since I'm only about 1.5 cm dilated
- Doubtless when he is born, our son will enter a blessedly new and different time than any of us adults have ever seen.
This day means a great deal to many people, and I certainly don't have any unique words to add. But, I don't think I could feel much better about bringing a new person into this country. A new president doesn't magically solve all our problems, but I've never felt more proud to be an American or more hopeful about our future as a Democracy.
It's also convenient that I can still blame pregnancy for my emotions. I'm powerless over what will likely be an undignified display during the inaugural address - it's just a natural physiological reaction: when hope fills hearts to overflowing, sometimes it leaks from the eyes. God bless America.