Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day

You know, I thought I'd write so faithfully throughout my pregnancy, but I didn't do that at all! So, here are some general baby updates:
  1. Several ultrasounds have confirmed that our little one's a boy
  2. His name will be Jackson Pepper (my maiden name) Ramsey
  3. We'll call him Jackson - but, since it's the midwest, I'm sure he'll be called Jack a lot
  4. He's due 1/31
  5. We've been advised not to let it wait that long... we're scheduled to induce on 1/30 if nothing exciting happens before then
  6. He may be a big one! They estimated him at 6 lbs. last month, and he could be 8 or 9 lbs. if he stays in until induction day
  7. We'll try for a vaginal delivery, but a C-section may be necessary
  8. I've secretly wished Jackson would decide to appear on Inauguration Day, so he could tell everyone he was born the day President Barack Obama took office
  9. He's probably *not* going to be born today, since I'm only about 1.5 cm dilated
  10. Doubtless when he is born, our son will enter a blessedly new and different time than any of us adults have ever seen.

This day means a great deal to many people, and I certainly don't have any unique words to add. But, I don't think I could feel much better about bringing a new person into this country. A new president doesn't magically solve all our problems, but I've never felt more proud to be an American or more hopeful about our future as a Democracy.


It's also convenient that I can still blame pregnancy for my emotions. I'm powerless over what will likely be an undignified display during the inaugural address - it's just a natural physiological reaction: when hope fills hearts to overflowing, sometimes it leaks from the eyes. God bless America.

2 comments:

jennifer said...

oh wow---- your due date IS SOON!!!!!!!!! Somehow time has snuck up on me.... so I MUST HAVE a text AT LEAST when Jackson comes! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

It's about time you let the viewers know SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO