Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Boy Named Boot

Now that we know we're having a boy, I've been paying more attention to guys' names. And JUST IN time for football season. For some ungodly reason, Bryan was watching Purdue play the Oregon Ducks today. Normally, he's more interested in SEC games, but I think he was texting a friend who was at the game or something.

I heard one of the announcers mention Justin Roper. I'm all, "Justin Ropers? I have a pair of those!"

Then hubby told me it's Oregon's quarterback's NAME. For real.





Justin Roper, meet Justin Roper.




Awkward.



At first I thought, "Maybe he's from a big metropolitan area and his parents don't know cowboy boots from driving moccasins. In that case, he probably wasn't teased about it." Fine. Harmless. Then, I found out he's from Buford, Georgia. I used to live near that area. I estimate the kid got pantsed before his third birthday.

He seems to be doing fine - getting an education, great athlete, etc. But does anyone else think this name was a little negligent?

Shamefully, at the first test of character I proved no better than the schoolyard hazers. While I pondered the possible effects an unusual name could have on a person's psyche, Justin went down on the field. I yelled, "Oh my God! Somebody call a cobbler!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be much much worse. Don't forget I have a sister named Rosy, and my parents thought about naming ME Richard

Bryan said...

I think you are taking over the SI cover jinx or the Madden cover Jinx...he got hurt in that game and is out 2-4 weeks with sprained MCL. Hmmmm....the power of Mississippirawfootage.