Monday, October 22, 2007

Out Of The Closet

Well, internet, last night went great. I'm out of the songwriting closet.

I ended up going on around 9 o'clock. While I took Bubba's advice and didn't announce that it was original, Bryan was in the audience outing me every chance he got. Before I went on he told Gary Wasson (of the Spud Puppies) that it was my first time singing an original to non-relatives. In typical Gary fashion, he was awesome and supportive. He runs the open stage, and every musician appreciation night turns into a "musicians appreciating Gary" night. If you hit the Spud Puppies link, that's Gary singing on "5500 Days." Oh yeah, and Bryan told the guy at the table next to him, too.

Mike Retherford played after me. This was the first time I'd heard Mike's stuff and I am a fan. If there's a shred of justice in the world, Tim McGraw will buy this song. Hell, you might here Mike singing it on the radio one day. Bryan got to him too, and he came over to chastise me for not announcing that my song was original. Honestly, I was psyched he couldn't tell, since the others were written by established artists.

I have to admit several times yesterday I considered bagging the Barley Island night. Something about pouring my soul into a mic via my own words psyched me out and made me more nervous than usual. Since I didn't want to write a post titled "I Punked Out" I followed through. Thanks for all your supportive comments; they held me to task. Now I guess I need to get myself one of those snazzy myspace music pages like the cool kids. Audioweasal: I'm playing a private party this weekend. If you're gonna be near Memphis, come play bass for me. 8-)

3 comments:

Bubbernem said...

Git Er Dun! Baby Sis. If you and your teeth, can sleep in separate rooms in the house....Well, you still might be a Redneck!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Good for you! And see, Internet accountability is powerful stuff.

Anonymous said...

You did great girl. And why shouldn't I work the room...you be the shy unassumming one. I'll be the shyster manager. 8-) Works like a charm.