Sunday, October 14, 2007

Party Like it's 1989

As promised, pictures from last night's party:

Al - the birthday boy!

Me, Bryan, Al & Monique in costumes that weren't costumes 20 years ago

Gretchen and Manny looking particulary fly

Showing off my ginormus hoop earrings, diagonal slash of blush, tri-colored eyeshadow, "I'm a Dukacrat" button, and a black hat that's almost invisible from the front.
(80s headware must always be secondary to hair height.)
Jeff swept the costume contest - it's all about commitment.



A very strong showing of the leotard/leg warmer combo by Renee

Monique, Peanut & one of the ZZ top guys

DJ Bryan on the miz-ike

Dress loud, sing louder.

What a fun night! I didn't start out jazzed about an 80s costume, the more we got into it the more fun we had. A few trends I'd completely forgotten about:

bandanas tied around legs
t-shirts defined at the waist w/ scrunchies
rat tails
two polo shirts worn together with upturned collars

Happy Birthday, Al. Your party won't soon be forgotten!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice! It's always fun when everyone really gets into these things. Some stuff I saw at an 80s party I went to: colored socks with pumps, one big earring and one small earring, suit jackets with sleeves rolled up, a sweatshirt with the collar ripped out so it sags down on one shoulder, and side pony tails. I think you guys covered pretty much everything else. Excellent work with the big hair and eye shadow!

Anonymous said...

We had an 80's party when I was in college and the best costumes were the ones where people had actually pulled things out of their own closets. Like my friend Julie who still owned a Hyper Color shirt! I have been to a couple of 80's parties since then and they are ALWAYS a blast!

I do have to say that I envy your ability to Do Big Hair. I never had such talent and I believe that was why I wasn't popular in middle school in the 80's!

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, the teal and purple outfit is priceless! I do believe that was my favorite color combination, back in the day. *shudders* No wonder I need therapy.