Sunday, September 23, 2007

How The Mighty Have Fallen

Today is the first day of Fall, and the umpteenth day of football season. I am truly a football widow, but Bryan is sensitive enough keep an eye out for things to keep me semi-engaged through the season. But yesterday, a dream was shattered.

Maybe not a dream; more like a fantasy. Nonetheless, it was a good one and it's gone.

Until two seasons ago, I had a great reason to watch UGA football:

David Pollack.
(I know, right?)

Bryan started the whole thing. He was all, "Hey, Georgia's got this defensive end I really think you'll like..." The man doesn't care who he has to pimp out to get me watching football. The three of us had a great couple of years. Then David went to play for the Bengals and suddenly he was yesterday's news to Bryan. (Nothing personal, you just have to be a Cowboy to stay on Bryan's radar after you leave UGA.)

Team affiliation didn't matter one bit to me! I remained a David Pollack fan, no matter what colors he wore. I was devastated when he suffered a neck injury last year during the Bengals v. Browns game. I feared my little married woman crush was at an end.Two weeks ago he came back into my life via CSTV's show SEC Tailgate. In a dress shirt, no less.

I was so happy to see him again! The first week he didn't say very much. Sadly, this week I found out why.

While describing what it was like for an opposing team to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa he said something like, "When we walked out to get a feel for the field the student section was full. They let us know they were there; they were yelling explicits at us."

Explicits, David. Really? Seriously?

Suddenly that was it for me. I know, I know. He's a great athlete, and from all accounts a great person. Even the media hasn't dug up any dirt on this guy. He probably doesn't know the technical term for bad words because he doesn't use them, but I'm kind of a hardass when it comes to grammar. I'm not sure why it affected me so strongly, but apparently I can't sustain a harmless married woman crush if the object of that crush doesn't have a good vocabulary. It's enough to make me use EXPLETIVES.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

I guess I have to find you a new one...Emmitt retired, Pollack can't use the English language and Matt Stafford likes NASCAR...it's getting tough. 8-)

Anonymous said...

I think you should check out Kirk Herbstreit on College Gameday Live on ESPN. He's really cute and has not once horrified me with any butchering of the English language. He was here in Madison on Saturday, which I did not know until after the game had started or I might have gone and stalked him.

Jennifer said...

One problem: hubby was the PR guy for Ohio State baseball when Kirk was breaking into the sportscasting biz fresh from being a quarterback. I'm sure Kirk isn't the same guy from the stories I've heard about his youth, but I still associate him with the under-the-breathe "douchebag" Bryan mutters when the camera cuts to him.

Anonymous said...

The unfortunate thing about football is all the time those players spend wearing helmets. I mean, gosh, how are we supposed to see what they look like under there???