Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Precious Gems In Public Places

Many years ago, my father gave my mother a very nice anniversary gift - a diamond solitaire ring. Mama left it to me when she died. As soon as I could afford it, I had the stone reset and wore it a lot. Last night, I looked down at my hand and saw a tiny little dent where the stone and setting were supposed to be.

This somehow managed to happen without my noticing. Thinking back, I don't remember having trouble opening a door or doing anything else that could generate enough force to knock off the setting. How could I not feel that?

I retraced my steps and found nothing. I called the restaurant where we ate, searched my car, purse, pockets, everywhere... still, nothing. Let's face it, not many people find precious gems in public places and turn them in. It's just gone. I don't consider myself a particularly materialistic person; I understand that things are just things.

But this wasn't just a shiny little piece of pretty. It represented some big memories- my parents' love for each other, and my mother's love for me. I know it was just a symbol, not the love itself. But when I looked at it, I thought about that love. Losing it just plain hurts.

God, I miss my Mama. I damned sure feel that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the timing couldn't have been much worse either. Gosh, that sucks.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. It's easy to say it was just a thing, but it was a thing that was precious to someone you love and therefore precious to you too. I know how that feels.