Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Self-Aware Communication Artist For Hire

Here's my situation: I'm curently unemployed, but I've been in either video or broadcasting for most of the last decade. My most recent job required traveling a third of the year, and I couldn't do it anymore.

By that, I mean a bunch of my hair fell out.

I'm pretty stubborn, so my inability to pack a bag without crying didn't switch on the cartoon lightbulb. Losing hair piqued my interest, though. After a full blood workup, my doc found nothing physically wrong. Then I started to notice the timing of the hair loss: right after business trips.

So, you know, I liked the job and everything, but I wouldn't go bald for it.
To save my life, like chemo? No doubt. Not so much for a job, though.

Finding myself at this crossroads, I took a career assessment. It was called "Free Career Test." (read: "$25 Results")

I was pretty amped to see the results. I wondered if some combination of my personality, work style, values and interests would unearth some great job that would complete me and make dump trucks full of money.

My top job category? Communication Arts. FOR REAL! I could've copped a free glance at "broadcast journalism" on my freaking diploma. It gets better:

Under Communication Arts, this test lists 14 sample careers. Guess how many of those I've done in some form or combination? Ten! Nine professionally, the other for fun.

Apparently, I'm self-aware. So, I got that going for me. [Sigh] If you need me, I'll be over at TVjobs.com.

5 comments:

Bryan said...

Good to see the j-school diploma was that right direction...Lord knows you wouldn't make much of a police officer or welder.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know, I've heard her use a tone of voice that would freeze most criminals in their tracks. As for the ones that it wouldn't work on, that's what the gun is for

Jennifer said...

This is fascinating; Bryan confirmed that I do indeed have a "tone." I had no idea. Apparently, it's sometimes accompanied by a "look." Who knew?

Anonymous said...

I know about the tone on the intercom. I would've had to look through your rack in order to see if you indeed have a "look"

Jennifer said...

A little background: The rack of which Scott/audio weasel writes would be my former video console which was rack-mounted. There's really not enough of the other rack to obstruct vision from ANY angle. But, hey, thanks for the credit.