Thursday, January 4, 2007

Hey, howya doin.

I'm an over-thinker. For instance, here's my current inner monologue:
What topic should I choose for my first post? I mean, it's my very first post ever. Should it be monumental in some way?

I say, NAY! Why should the first post be significant? I don't intend to write anything monumental here. Like, ever. In fact, if I ever post anything remotely significant, I will shut this blog down immediately. Don't make me pull this car over.

So, what's up with the name? Glad you asked.

Until recently, I was a video producer. Once my coworkers and I lost some video shot in Mississippi (which, by coincidence, is my home state, but I didn't live there then. Nor do I now. But I digress.) An innocent bystander inquired about the object of our frantic search. I responded, "the Mississippi raw footage," to which he quipped, "Hey, I think I saw them open for Skynyrd."

Since I'm drawn to strange band names, it stuck with me. If you wanna get all deep about it, it also touches on my southernness, and my loves of video and music. (OK - the music thing's a stretch, but given a ton of context it does highlight my affinity for weird band names.)

Crowd participation time! Pull up a seat, introduce yourself, and list your five favorite weird band names. Preferably imaginary ones, but odd real ones are cool, too.

I'll start:
  1. Mississippi Raw Footage (imaginary, of course)
  2. Illegal Bulldogs (imaginary - called IBD by hardcore fans)
  3. Cornfield Pepper and the Mississippi GQ Band (real - I swear - it was my brother's band)
  4. Screaming Chickens (imaginary)
  5. Three Piece Dinner (real - my friend Mark's band)

Your turn. If you need a formula to get started, one of my favorites is first word adjective or adverb + last word animal. But, hey, this is all about you.

12 comments:

Bryan said...

Ok, here's my five....

1. Short Bus Super Heroes (Imaginary, just like the imagery)
2. String Cheese Incident (Real, just funny)
3. The Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravaganza (Might be real, saw it online and thought it interesting)
4. Using author's formula -- Kinky Wildabeasts
5. Using author's formula 2 -- Horny Ferrets

Good luck with the blog sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Let's see:

1. Over The Hill and Still Climbing ( real...Sorta)

2. Giterdone for God ( This is going to be the name of my Bluegrass Gospel band in the future.)

3. Sasquatch Revival (real from Kelso Washington...Bluegrass)

4. Freddie Feelgood and his Funky Little Five Piece Band (imaginary...sorta)

5. Baby Bubba's Bowlegged Bandits (imaginary...for Now)

Anonymous said...

Well- I don't have a great list, but we loved "Smart Like Einstein" in Fort Worth. Trust me- they were a great band, but they didn't fit their name!!

Jennifer said...

Gotta call your hand, Bubba. Freddy Feelgood and his Funky little Five Piece Band are totally ganked from a Ray Stevens song. Hell, a Ray Stevens title, even.
So, you totally owe me another entry.

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that Freddy Feeldgood's Funky Little Five Piece Band was imaginary in the mind of Ray Stevens, while real as life to you and me (Die hard Fans). Therefore they are an imaginary Band...sorta. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, here we go

1. Screaming Cheetah Wheelies- real, blues rock band

2. Les Claypool's Flying Frog Brigade- real, with the greatest badass bassist, Les Claypool

3. No Use For A Name- real, straight up punk

4. Screeching Weasel- real, punk check my nick and you'll understand why

5. The Flaming Lips- wierd name for a wierd band...



5.

Anonymous said...

Forgot one... Honky Toast- real, hardcore

Anonymous said...

Girl, you rock. I gotta get me one of these! I hope you all are doing well. I'm doing fine. Really blessed (meaning, I and loved ones are alive!). So good to hear from you. Here goes:

1) Stinky Nightgowns (Made in America)
2) Bootsy's Rubber Band (real - offshoot of Parliament/Funkadelic)
3) Schnookie Bears (made up)
4) Black Eyed Peas
5) The Pussycat Dolls

Be good!

Anonymous said...

1. Perfect Tipsy (from a text message I saved)
2. Animatronic LBJ (what my sister will call her band, should she ever start one)
3. Miss Damn (what one of my speech-impaired kids used to call me)
4. Minty Green (my friends' actual high school garage band)
5. Grapety Purple (what we used to call them to make them mad)

Bryan said...

I just thought of another based on Lisa's post...

10,000 Lunatics...It was what I called 10,000 Maniacs just to make a high school friend mad.

Unknown said...

I had to take some time to think about this. Then my sister stole one of my answers. Procrastination bites me in the ass once again. Anyway:
1. Animatronic LBJ
2. Projectile Tampons
3. Dave Barry Hero Worship
(Numbers 1-3 all made up)
4. The Federal Duck (Dave Barry's band)
5. Machine Wash Warm (I dated a guy in this band in college - they later changed their name to Little Greyhound after the drummer's greyhound died. It was a moving tribute.)

Anonymous said...

I agree with your highly intelligent and intuitive husband. If you have a chance to do what you love, AND make a few dollars, AND not have to work for Da Man; go for it and enjoy it. At which point, anyone other than you and your hubby start paying your bills, then and only then do they have the right to be critical of your decisions. Have fun baby sister and to quote the old indian on Outlaw Josey Wales,"Endeavor to persevere."