Monday, January 15, 2007

Damn the Man

As is my custom, I went to church yesterday. We had a good service and I got a break from my usual worship leader duties. However, I was asked several times (by very well meaning people) if I had gotten the job I'd interviewed for. Oy.

Well, internet, I didn't get the job. I was overqualified for it, AND since the Deputy Mayor is a friend of a friend, he called and vouched for me. So, I couldn't land an entry level job offer with 7 years experience and the Deputy Mayor lobbying for me. Nice.

Yes, yes, it's for the best and all that. I'm keeping my eyes on the horizon for something appropriate to appear in the video/TV realm, but it's not looking promising.

Here's the plot twist - I started college on a music scholarship. I double majored in voice and piano with grades at the top of my class before switching majors my sophomore year. I switched for several reasons, one being I had become someone I didn't like - a music snob.

In response to the pressure, I morphed into someone who listened solely to the classics, and stayed in a 10x10 rehearsal room about six hours a day (on top of classes and other studying) and started losing touch with people I cared about. I also didn't feel drawn to teaching, and that left performing. I'd been warned all my life about hitching my wagon to that star.

So, okay, I turned off the music path and got back to "normal." But, now I'm re-analyzing things. Here are the last words my piano professor said to me: "You'll be back. You have to. Music is inside of you; it may be ten years, it may be twenty, but you'll be back."

I'm considering trying a little performing here and there for pay. Actually, I've taken preliminary steps. I've started learning music, and bought a pick-up for my guitar. I've also been talking to the owner of a local restaurant that hires performers, and she seems excited to work with me since I'd be her only female act. There are several other opportunities within thirty miles of home, so if I play my cards right, this might actually work. As an additional way to earn I'm considering technical trading/trading stock. Yeah, seriously.

A little tip - If you want to hear crickets chirp, mention to your friends and family that you're considering not getting a full-time job. That you might do something less conventional.

Boy oh boy do I have my fears. But, as my husband put it- "it's not irrational - you're not trying to be the next American Idol, you just want to love what you do, make a few bucks, and avoid working for the man."

Nicely put.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say go for it. If my circumstances had been different, I would have stuck with it hardcore. If I had it to do all over again, I would have made it happen. You've got to follow your dreams doggedly. You can't find out where they're going and hook up with them later. If you've got a second chance to follow it..... do it. Life's too short for "coulda shoulda woulda"'s

Anonymous said...

Go you! Also, I am SO familiar with those "you want to do what?" crickets. It stops mattering to you after a while.