Thursday, June 12, 2008

From Underemployed to Unemployed and Back to Working Stiff Again

It took me being jobless to post, but, by God, here we are. The good news is, my new job starts Monday. I left being a technician at an Optometry office to go back to my old life in government consulting. Once again I will have one of those jobs where people say, "huh? So what do you actually do?" It's business consulting for government clients, so on a high level, it's helping government run more efficiently. What you actually do is determined by the project you're working on. I happen to think mine's pretty cool (at least with the blissful ignorance of not having begun.) I'll let you know if I still think it's cool after I've eaten from the tree of knowledge on Monday.

I should have some interesting news later; perhaps some info on a souvenir from Mexico. (In news, we called that a tease) but now for the urgent stuff.

Next Friday, Bryan and I are going to New York City for a few days. Woo-hoo! This will be my first trip to the city, and maybe Bryan's second. (I'm sure I'll be corrected at Chiliburgers if I'm wrong.)

We're going for religious reasons: A pilgrimage to the Cathedral of Baseball. Yankee Stadium and Shea Stadium are both closing this year, and Bryan's never been to either. So, that's nice. But here's the thing; I'm not really into baseball. I'm sure it will be fun and everything. You know, historic and whatnot. But I'd like to add in a few things more in line with my interests. So far, we have tickets to Avenue Q, which is kinda like Sesame Street for grownups. That sounds incredibly fun, but I need a few more ideas.

So, Internet, have you been to the Big Apple? If so, what do you think we shouldn't miss? If not, any burning thoughts on what you would see if you go someday?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice tease 8-) Souvenir...

Dorothy said...

Hope y'all have a great trip to NY! Good Luck and Congratulations on your new job!

Anonymous said...

You must go to a restaurant in Little Italy called Di Gennaro (Di Genarro?) at the corner of Mulberry and Hester in Little Italy. There you must order the gnocci with vodka sauce. It is not on the menu, but they will make it for you. Then you must walk two blocks up Mulberry (toward Canal) to a bakery called La Bella Ferrara where you must buy yourself a double chocolate mini-cannoli to eat immediately and then a whole box full of the full sized ones to eat for breakfast. Then you will thank me.

I also recommend Serendipity for the frozen hot chocolate, which is even exponentially better than it sounds. I'd eat somewhere cheaper and just go there for the fhc. And of course wander through Central Park. If you're secure enough in your adulthood, ride the carousel there. It actually goes at quite a good clip. I always recommend the walk from Times Square up 5th to the park. I took lots of people around when I lived there, so email if you want specifics or more ideas. I'm excited for you!