Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Wanna Get Away?

Lately, I frantically nod up and down in response to the Southwest commercials that end "wanna get away?"

Don't feel sorry for me, Internet. It's not like I have some kind of horrible life to get away from, I just need a place to decompress. A chill place, if you will.

When I was a kid, I used to chill on the roof. My folks had a hundred-foot HAM radio tower that served as my ladder to the roof of our house. We were pretty far out in the country, so it's not like the neighbors stared. (I guess that's obvious; I couldn't see many suburban neighborhood associations giving the "thumbs up" to a hundred-foot tower.)

I was always amazed by how much more peaceful the world could be just ten feet off the ground. I was mulling over ideas for a small getaway, when my TiVo recorded something perfect. (My TiVo, despite being an inanimate object, has remarkable insights into my soul. Except for the time it decided I was a gay black woman just because I watch the "L Word" and BET's "Grown Folks Music." OK, so maybe my TiVo runs a little hot and cold with the insights.) Anyway, this cool show was about tree houses. Here's one of them - built by Treehouse Workshop, Inc.

That particular tree house is way too rich for my blood, but the idea of a grown-up tree house sounds fantastic to me! I love the idea of being above things. Away from the world, but still close to it. Unfortunately, I couldn't even fund a treehouse construction with Monopoly money.

Alas, I'm still searching for my own private chill place. Where do you go (or what do you do) to get away? And have you ever felt your TiVo was getting the wrong idea about you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Ray, make some room.....here comes Ashy Larry.

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should fly to Irelend for the month......can I take my clubs?

Anonymous said...

I have no TiVo :(

But I do have an enormous need for get-away time. I find that driving alone can be good for that and back when I used to swim, that was some excellent getting away. Swimming laps gives you a lot of uninterrupted time to think or just entirely zone out and no one can reach you. People say that about running too, but when I run, I mostly think "!#$%^&* shin splints! OWWWWWW!"

Jennifer said...

Nate dog (can't fool me w/ your anonymous ID)I have to share something very sad with you. Ashy Larry is no more. He swam toward the light some time last night. Sniff. He was a good fish.

Anonymous said...

I've wanted to live in a kick ass tree house ever since the first time I saw Swiss Family Robinson