Thursday, March 29, 2007

Goodbye, Ashy Larry

My fish died. I know he was just a fish, but I am saddened.

Audio Weasel, if you're reading, Ashy Larry had a brother...and his name was Uncle Ray. Uncle Ray passed very early in his stay with the Ramseys, so I didn't see much point in bringing it up.

OK, since I brought it up, I'll share with the rest of the class:

My friend Scott (seen commenting as audio_weasel) and I worked together traveling to do live Video/Audio production. (I was the video part, and, well, you can put it together.) It was a very stressful job, so along with one or two others, we would occasionally indulge in a cocktail after work. Since we worked for a church-related organization we sometimes had need to make plans to have said cocktails in code on the crew headset. It went like this:


Let's get Methodist = Crew call's early tomorrow, let's have one drink

Let's get Presbyterian = OK, it's an early call, but today was tough enough for two

" Episcopalian = Today was horrid, time for a whole different holy trinity

" Catholic = Bartender, keep 'em comin'

" Uncle Ray (in honor of Scott's raging alcoholic Uncle) = This might be a rager. Don't let me dance on the bar.

In honor of the trauma we all endured during those dark days, I named a fish Uncle Ray. Dude, he died really fast. I hope it wasn't the name that killed him. I mean, you can't be Uncle Ray every day.

Back to his recently deceased brother. Ashy Larry was a dwarf gourami who looked exactly like this: Because I'm obviously a little tweaked, he's named after a character on Chappelle's show who looked like this:
I guess I thought his blue markings (fish Ashy) made him look kinda ashy. But in a good way.

You were a good fish, Ashy. A strong swimmer, and you carried a lot of joy on your irridescent little fins. You will be missed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be the name that killed him. My Uncle Ray is still alive and kicking. Must be the blood alcohol content keeping him fresh.

I'm honored that you named a fish after him though.

BTW, yes I remember I still owe you two seasons of your favorite show.

Anonymous said...

We used to call it a "staff meeting" at the "sports place" in front of the students.

Sadly, Ashy Larry has been recently joined in the big fishbowl in the sky by Red Fish. I don't think Blue Fish misses him.

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Poor fishy! How is Jen Jen?