Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Rocky Watch '07

A family who lost their golden retriever has posters up all over my community. The picture shows a beautiful dog named Rocky whose owners are offering two thousand dollars for his return.

Immediately my heart went out to them. My dog is a golden retreiver mix, and I know what adorable personalities those dogs can have.

Then I thought, "Two grand? For real?"

After seeing the poster at a stop sign I caught myself sub-consciously scanning the cornfields for this dog. The longer I thought about it, the more plausible it seemed to take a drive around the area. Just to see. I mean, they're offering two large for this dog. Who couldn't use that kind of money? Maybe I'll put a bowl of dog food in the back seat of my car...or carry some treats in my purse. At what point does one become a lost dog stalker?

Here, Rocky! Come here, boy!

Then I wondered, is this family just loaded, or is their kid suicidal over the loss of this dog? Or both? Is this a show dog? Can he bring you a beer from the fridge? As I began to fantasize about finding Rocky and returning him for a fat wad of cash, I hit a disappointing ethical wall. Should you take that kind of money for doing something you're supposed to do anyway? I mean, a decent person would return a lost pet for free. But I have anal glaucoma about turning down two grand. (In other words, I don't see my ass doing it.)

Tell me what you think:

1. Would you go out of your way (even a little) to find this dog?
2. If you found it, would you accept the reward?
3. If you lost your dog, what's your reward offer ceiling?

My dog loves to chase geese, and there are a lot of geese around the lake. I'm just going to, umm, well, I had to go by the lake anyway because I have this thing...

Hell with it. I'm gonna look for that dog.

4 comments:

Bryan said...

And you even left out the bits about does it count if we found the dog dead on the side of the road, or does a $2,000 rewrad constitute a bounty in essence creating people fighting for the chance to get ahold of Rocky...and what happen if two people get the rascal and concurrently claim rights to the prize some land-grabbing Oklahoma Sooners scene.

Jennifer said...

Perhaps the fear that someone from church will find my blog made me leave out some of the twisted details. Internet - I give you my husband, the tattling rat bastard.

Anonymous said...

1. Would you go out of your way (even a little) to find this dog?
Yes. Our dogs run away all the time so we feel an obligation when someone else's baby strays :) It is a nice way to return the favor and we are pretty big in debt on this favor.

2. If you found it, would you accept the reward?
I'd probably refuse it at first and if the person persisted a bit, I'd eventually accept it unless it was someone offering the reward because of a sad child and not because of a highly prized show dog.

3. If you lost your dog, what's your reward offer ceiling?
Since we have a chronic runaway in Fly, I'd offer 100 for him or we'd be broke from having to put out rewards all the time. Anna is probably good for $500 or so...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go out of the way to look for it. Not even a little. If the people are that anal about him, he probably left on purpose.

If I found him, I could not accept ANY reward, because I too have 3 babies of my own. None of them rate the "2 Grand" mark at this point mind you, but I would still want them back.

I would not offer any reward. A missing pooch is a "DOG GONE"!
I love my critters, but not one of them can cook, clean, or make a living. For that matter, my wife had better not stray too far. She'll just be a "Gone Ho"!