Thursday, March 25, 2010

30 Day Shred - Day 4

So, you know Jillian Michaels, the scary trainer lady on The Biggest Loser? Well, I'm doing this
in an effort to lose some leftover baby weight, and tone up the muscles that surely must still be under there somewhere.


My Aunt: What's a 30-Day Shred? I think I need it.


Me: It's just a workout, Aunt Pat, but it's beating me like it caught me stealing.


It's an intense twenty-minute workout to get maximum results by combining cardio, strength and ab workouts. The term "Shred" refers to the desired physical result of the workout...as in getting shredded/ripped/cut. Right now it feels more like getting shredded in the taco lettuce sense of the word.


I'm usually content with slow and steady progress. However, my precious baby boy is almost 14-months old, and that approach has left me antsy. Also, the twenty-minute duration should allow me to change clothes, workout, shower and dress during Jackson's morning nap.I'm documenting my journey here because I'm in desperate need of support and accountability. (How very "Julie and Julia" of me, I know.)


I realize a "before" picture of my squishy, white, childbirth-ravaged body would make this more interesting for you. Frankly, I don't have the guts to TAKE one of those photos, much less offer it up for you, Internet. But, since I owe you something in exchange for your supportive comments (hint hint) here's an adorable picture of my baby:


Sure, most folks chronicle these things from Day 1, to capture all the cock-eyed optimism with which they approached their challenge. Trust me, y'all didn't miss anything. Prior to this, I was just doing 30 minutes of Wii Fit every other day. I knew this was gonna hurt like hell. Quick recap:

Day 1 - Holy Crap.
Day 2 - My self hurts.
Day 3 - Still sore and very tired.

I haven't done today's workout, so you're all caught up. This morning I was pleasantly surprised to find myself less sore, and my endurance has improved a LOT in such a short time. So, let's do this thing!

11 comments:

Bryan said...

Go girl, my self hurts too!

Dorothy said...

I feel your pain! I can't count the times I've tried to get fit, toned and lose weight! I'd probably weigh 300 pounds if I hadn't kept at it. Right now I need to lose 25 or 30 pounds and I'd feel (and look) much better.
I applaud your effort and pray that you will reach your goal. If you think losing weight is hard to do now, just wait until it gradually accumulates and you try to lose it when you are much older!
I look forward to seeing updates and Good Luck!
♥ Dorothy
p.s. That has to be to cutest baby in the world!!!!

Darla said...

Hang tough girl..

Judy@judyfriendphotography.com said...

I know you are up for the challenge! Just keep your eye of the end and how great you will feel. Jude

Susie said...

Good luck with this workout Jennifer. I think Jillian is pretty tough! But she'll get you some results!

Jen said...

Good Luck Jennifer!!
I just watched a preview of the video on google. Looks good--and something I need to do too. Now, what about what to eat?? Is there some info with the video about that?

Connie said...

Wishing you the best of luck! Just keep your goal in mind. Twenty minutes a day does sound very doable. If it works for you, maybe you'll be an inspiration to some of the rest of us (like me!) who could stand to lose a few pounds.

Your baby is absolutely adorable by the way!! :)

Jennifer said...

Thanks, ladies!! As for the diet portion of it, www.jillianmichaels.com has a free diet plan they e-mail to you. I haven't looked at it yet; I'm just trying to be sensible on my own so I don't start feeling overloaded. But, I'll probably check it out soon.

Maria said...

Jennifer, your baby is one handsome little boy. His beautiful eyes will enchant quite a few ladies.
The weight will come off, slowly but surely.
Good luck with the Shred program.

Maria ( a blog friend of Dorothy)

Mrs. Cooper said...

a HELL of a lot like your husband. In a good way :-) I'm just saying. :-)

Carol said...

I only put on 2 lbs a year.....for 15 years...now I can't get rid of that 30 lbs...I like that 20 min workout...might have to give it a try. Where can I check it out?

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com